Wednesday, February 23, 2005

More of a rebuttal than a post

I had lots of things to say about how a variety of distractions have kept me from getting to the 8 tapes of shows sitting on top of my bedroom tv but my friend josh nason's most recent blog posting (http://nasonsdeal.blogspot.com/2005/02/hey-oooooooooooooooooooo.html) has forced me to scrap my original plan and proceed directly to bashing his pseudo-intellectualism.

Let's start here. You are in desperate need of an editor (if only to check your spelling and sentence continuity). I will volunteer my services if you would like them (simply e-mail your column to me) or you could simply proofread for your self. I actually got the idea for an editor from This Fish Needs A Bicycle (www.thisfish.com).

Not bad is a perfectly acceptable answer to the Joey Tribbiani classic "How you doin'?" What do you want? A full answer. "Actually Josh, things are pretty crap. I can't seem to figure out why this asshole at work keeps blowing me off every time I ask him how he's doing."

And are you ever really fully recovered mentally (as opposed to mentally fully recovered)? I'd argue no. "I'll take the "con" position, please." And your work gave you an iPod? This is me being really, really, really jealous. Also, just because it's your job title does not mean it gets capitalized everytime you use it. If it proceeds your name as in Director of Ticket Sales Josh Nason, then yes. Otherwise, you're just like the rest of us here in lower-case land.

I would agree that if someone will read the autobiography of Ric Flair (and I can think of only one person), then someone might, eventually, read whatever chum you manage to turn out. Not that I'm saying it'll be bad. Who knows? It could be very good. I have just started "The Informers" by Bret Easton Ellis and am reading at least one book a week for this - hopefully
the last - class I'm taking (so far we've read an oral history of some dude from around Machias, a biography of Ben Franklin and are wading through a guide to writing papers for history classes), I've also scrapped plans to read a few books I checked out of the library and have another book called "Dead Well I May Be" open on the floor by my bed (this one is going particularly slowly). The last really great book I read was called "The River King" by Alice Hoffman.

Of all the descriptive terms I would use to describe "Napoleon (see, I spelled it correctly) Dynamite," over the top is not one of them. Moron-a-thon (meant in the best possible way) is a possible choice. I loved this movie and I don't think you had to be dork-ish to like it. Not that wasn't/am not dork-ish, I'm just saying perhaps you should stop dwelling on your past. I love the part where he laments his lack of skills. And Jon Gries was great and the only person I recognized (even if it was only to go
"Hey, it's that guy) aside from Hilary Duff's sister Haylie and the guy who played Oswald on "The Drew Carey Show," Diedrich Bader (who you might also recognize as the neighbor from "Office Space".

As far as TV marathons are concerned, I recommend NetFlix for your viewing needs in this category. There's no need to shell out the $50-$150 for seasons of these shows when you can get them sent to your house with no late fees. "The Simpsons" - were funny (and still are) but now the jokes are tired retreads and the show is breaking no new ground (including the gay
character). "The Shield" - I just never got into this show. I've heard only good things but it's just not "must-see" in my book. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" - Larry David was the cynical part of "Seinfeld" and watching his own show is simply grating. "The Office" - this I'm a bit intrigued about. I want to see it (at least a lot more than I want to see the sure-to-be-as-lame-as-some-of-Nason's-nicknames-he's-made-up-for-himself American retread coming to the tiny screen soon). But I'm in the middle (actually the beginning) of plowing through the entire series of "Angel" (if only to look at Charisma Carpenter on a regular basis). And I'm also hopelessly addicted to reruns of "Ed" on TBS.

My original thought on the quality Eddie Murphy movie is "The Golden Child" but a quick check of imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000552/)...reveals that I'm going to have to go with "Bowfinger" in 1999 but if you didn't like that it would probably be "Boomerang" (even though he wasn't the best part) in 1994 unless you count "BHC3" in 1994.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home