Thursday, January 06, 2005

I Heart Lots

1.) I've watched Napoleon Dynamite twice so far and I still can't decide if it's absolutely brilliant or just a collection of really dumb crap that makes a funny movie. But John Gries as the uncle (look him up on imdb.com, you'll know who he is) and Tina Marjorino (who I just realized is the computer genius on Veronica Mars) make the movie more than just a pop culture radar blip and the bizarre internet love hook-up and the as-good-as-Travolta dance number make it more than just a collection of its parts. I'm still working my way through Door in the Floor but I've seen this one twice. Go figure.

2.) High School Reunion is so addictive. The bitchiness seems to have worn off a little bit but the previews for upcoming episodes hint that it may come back in force. I'm still waiting for last season to come out on DVD though.

3.) Looking for now-famous guest stars on reruns of "Boy Meets World" has become one of my favorite "hobbies" of late. The other night I spotted Charisma Carpenter as the girl Will Friedle made out with on the New Year's party train. The guy who plays Gary on "What I Like About You" was also on the train. And the supermodel that Will Friedle lost track of was someone I recognized but can't quite place. Ethan Suplee is a regular. Many may recognize him as the best friend guy from "The Butterfly Effect" and also as the guy who called Shannen Doherty Brenda in "Mallrats." Look here for a complete list (note all The Monkees) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105958/guests.

4.) That catchy little ditty that I'm sure I recognize as a surf tune I used to love that they play on those ubiquitous new Chevy commercials. No words but still catchy as all get out.

5.) This one has been going on for a while but I'm of the opinion that "The Replacements" with Keanu Reeves, Rhys Ifans, Orlando Jones, John Favreau and Gene Hackman among others is a great movie. Not only is it a passable sports movie it somehow also manages to be a convincing romance as well. The girl Keanu ends up falling for is the typical girl-next door type (with all the sports movie requisites - a love of sports, owns a bar and is the hottest of all the cheerleaders) but it doesn't make the developing romance any less sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home