Saturday, December 25, 2004

Long Time Gone

Hi all. So, I've just returned from the hinterlands of northern Maine where I visited my parents for the holidays and spent a less than acceptable amount of time in the hot tub.

For this blog, I've decided to give accounting of my trip, which was all-in-all, fairly productive. Cold but productive.

I watched a lot of television (not as much as I'd hoped but still, quite a bit)...

I saw Love Actually on video (DVD, natch) but my DVD player was acting fruity and kept going all blue on the screen. It was frustrating but I did get to see the majority of the movie and it was funny. I laughed, I cried - seriously.

I saw Flight of the Phoenix at the theater (yes, THE theater). It sucked. Ass. Hard. I kept wondering if Dennis Quaid is still a coke head. And how Tyrese keeps getting movie roles. And what the hell was the deal with that Outkast montage thingy?

I watched 20+ hours of taped television, which leaves me a week behind still.

I saw the Christmas episode of ER which was very funny - especially Weaver's regifting - but is it just me or is the dude who hooked up with Mandy Moore in that movie turning into a useless feature of the show. Why can't they find more Parminder Nagra's?

Veronica Mars plays poker. Lisa Rinna has HUGE lips. Ugly with a capital F.

I came across a lost episode of Dr. Vegas and now I know why that show got the ax. As much fun as it is to watch Rob Lowe (and he is a funny guy - if Nason ever publishes my stream of consciousness rant involving 80s actors, it'll be a start to something that will definitely include Mr. Lowe), Joe Pantaliano is a curse to any show but to give him the same kind of role as he had in The Sopranos (before he was delicately whacked - and actually his role is more of mash-up of The Sopranos role and The Handler (which also got whacked but in a different way) role) and also to use the same theme song is just a recipe for disaster. I like Rob Lowe but even Sarah Lancaster sucked on this horrible show.

I watched the episode of Joey which guest-starred Lucy Liu (little Charlie's Angel reunion, I guess) and I laughed out loud several times. And it wasn't even that funny. Matt LeBlanc's facial expressions are comedic gold and he is SO Joey.

I got SOO sucked into the drama that is the new season of High School Reunion (I actually jumped ahead in my viewing which is something I normally only do for The O.C.). That Jaime is one crazy bitch (also, natch). That Gianni better watch his back, but methinks he's already distracted by Loretta's unwillingness to meet him halfway on the long distance thing. Okay, hypothetically speaking (and I'll phrase this as if it were happening to me which would be a dream come true), if a girl who played professional basketball in Italy (a la Sanaa Lathan in Love and Basketball *swoon*) asked you to move to Italy with her to continue a relationship you had both been wanting to explore for the ten years since high school, wouldn't you say, "Why yes, I've always wanted to live in Italy with a super hot girl."? So would I. But, my thoughts so far are that this season is already way suckier than last. There is so not going to be a love story that I am going to crave from week to week and the drama is all about that totally crazy chick. And she is SUPER crazy. And that voice. Ugh! WATCH, damnit.

I watched an episode each of Scrubs and Eve and I'm still saying that while Scrubs is definitely growing on me (and it's nice to see Donald Faison being funny), Eve is still my favorite sitcom (although Joey is making that run for it - if only he'd get together with the married neighbor - who'd obviously have to be single first). It's so nice to see a show with black actors (and on UPN no less) that's not all about "black people do this and white people do that."

I also caught a few reruns of Boy Meets World. That Eric Friedle is funny. But I've been noticing all the guest stars lately. The girl who played Harley Kiner sister was familiar but I couldn't place her. I saw Eric Balfour the other night though. And there have been others. It's my new little game.

I'm also nominating The North Shore (TV Gal makes fun of people watching this show) for the "Oh NO They Di'in't" show (to replace Melrose Place and the final years of (a little bit) Bev Hills). Every time something is going on, one of those meddling bastards screws it all up. It's so funny. And bringing in Shannen Doherty has only upped that quotient by about 50 times.

Let's see, aside from all that, what else did I do? I called up this friend of mine from high school to see what he's been up to since I haven't seen him for a few years. Still the same guy and we still got along like it'd only been days since I'd seen him last. That was fun. My parents threw a cocktail party and lots of people (mostly relatives) came. That was fun but it got a little crowded around the drink table (Gritty's Best Bitter and Magic Hat #9 for me please - my friend Albie dipped back into his college years and polished off what can only be described as a couple of handfuls of Rolling Rock - good times). This girl (woman, now - mom, too, actually) who used to live across the street came as well. I'm intimidated by this woman. She's in better shape than most of the people I know put together and every time I see her she is better looking than the last time. Hooray for her.

I'm sure there should be more to this so I'll think about it while I'm watching more TV tonight and I'll add more tomorrow. It's Christmas Break for all the people I know who are still in college (which actually includes me - how funny is that? ask my sister, she can't stop laughing) so I'm looking forward to this week.

See you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home