Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A bit hazy

I've been putting myself to sleep with the help of the good people in the pharmaceutical industry who produce Sudafed since I've had a bit of a cold for the past 4 days or so. It seems mostly gone now though. But the weird hazy feeling remains.

Life is really funny sometimes. I've just finished my morning ritual which involves waking up for the fourth or fifth time since about 8 a.m. and realizing I won't be able to go back to sleep no matter how many times I close my eyes and just lie there. So I get up and stumble in the direction of my computer. I hit the power button, hear that reassuring bell-ringing sound of the computer starting and shuffle off to the bathroom. Then I pour myself a little O.J. (today we are using the souvenir cup from The Tropical Isle in New Orleans, La., home of the infamous Hand Grenade - which is what came in this cup) and go check my mail. After I check my mail, and this part is new - just recently started, I read the list of blogs written by friends and people I already feel like I know like friends. Most of these are on the list of links on the side of my page but some aren't. I'll change that today. I promise.

One blog was a woman's monthly letter to her now-14-month-old girl. This blog is one of the sweetest things I've read in ages and this woman writes from the heart. It's sweet and wonderful and gooey but strong. I've watched many of my friends from high school and college get married and most have taken the road of procreation. I have to admit that at first I wondered why they felt the need to have children so early (this was several years ago and for the people my age to be having kids now is, to me, much more normal). But lately I've been seeing even more friends of mine having children and I get this feeling that the time is right. I'm happy for these people and enjoy seeing and visiting with their kids. It's just a shift in perspective and priorities but it's a noticeable one.

I thought I had more to write (and I do - it's called a thesis and I really need to get cracking) but I can't seem to remember what I was going to go on about next. Damn you Sudafed. But I'll be back again soon. I promise. I know you all missed me. I won't make you wait so long for the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home