Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Still so far behind

Let's see. I've watched a lot of TV lately but I'm still about a month behind. I still haven't seen the season finales of, say, ER, The O.C., Desperate Housewives, Smallville, and so on. I have seen the finales of Veronica Mars, Eve, Joey, etc.

All in all, the end of this year's TV season has left a bland taste in my mouth. I'm not saying I'm not digging the way the networks have finally realized what everyone (including Fox and all of the cable dial) has known for at least 10 years: That people do, in fact, watch TV during the summer, so a little original programming will be appreciated. It's just too bad that, at least what I've seen and what was reviewed in last week's EWeekly, is 90 percent reality shows. That look like they're going to suck. What's the name of that Jerry Hall one, anyone?

But, to attempt to stay on point, I'll move back to the realm of what I have seen.

A friend of the family has called me over and over again to tell me how much he loves Veronica Mars and now how much he digs Grey's Anatomy. I love Veronica Mars and was super glad to hear that Kristen Bell will be back with her merry band of misfits again next season, but, as much as I try, I can't really get into Grey's Anatomy. I simply can't get to the point where I care about the characters. I like Sandra Oh (hello. Arli$$ anyone?), I like that little nebbish-ish guy that has a crush on his room mate Meredith, I like their head doctor lady and I'm even starting to like the girl who cooks instead of sleeping. But I simply can't seem to grasp any reason why I'm supposed to care about the lead character, Meredith, why she can't seem to get what she wants from what's-his-face and how hard it's supposed to be to be a doctor, when, when you see them in scenes, it barely looks like they've even practiced holding a stethoscope much less anything more difficult. A long time ago I read a little thing that gave the percentages of jobs in TV, and something like 85 percent of the people on TV are doctors or cops. What I'm trying to say is, we don't really need any more medical dramas. Especially ones that don't really have very much to do with medicine. ER is still doing fine and I don't really need too many more shows to gross me out on a weekly basis.

I think Joey is pretty funny. It moves along well and there are some real jokes sprinkled in. But really it's not that great. The other night I caught a few back-to-back episodes of Friends on TBS and it made me realize just how far Matt LeBlanc has fallen. Instead of the Central Perk-ers he now has Drea DeMatteo who is definitely the life of the show if a bit over the top raunchy at times, the guy who plays her son who I actually do think is funny but the whole "dude can't get a date" lost most of its funny after the first few episodes, Alex, the girl next door who is almost as lifeless as her soon-to-be-ex-husband, and who can forget Howard, the dorky guy in the building who pops up every few episodes to latch on to how cool Joey is. Even Madchen Amick can't do anything for this show. Perhaps the reason she didn't hook up with Dr. Carter wasn't his fault after all, perhaps it was her distinct lack of ability to act. One saving grace for this show is that woman who was Stiffler's mom and Elle's friend in Legally Blonde movies as Bobbie, Joey's agent. Her grating character adds spice to this show that no one else has yet. With the exception of Lucy Liu. This show has done guest stars pretty well, much like Friends, but guest stars aren't enough. The show's stars are going to need to shine next season.

Everything else is going along kind of as planned. I'm not sure where Smallville is going next season with everyone graduating, but it looks like at least Clark and Lana are sticking around. I know Paul dies in the finale of Desperate Housewives (EWeekly spoiled that one for me) and Alfre Woodard arrives (that happened in the second to last one which I've seen) but frankly I'm not totally sure I care. Here's to hoping for something actually exciting in the finale of The O.C. and far, far less manufactured drama next season. The one I'm really looking forward to though is the finale of the Gilmore Girls. I've heard it's a real doozy.

I'm really going to miss American Dreams next season. And I'll also be missing Third Watch. I thought the finale was truly disappointing. You could really tell they didn't see the cancelation coming either.

P.S. I at least tried to change the settings so that anyone and everyone can leave posts (not just registered users) so please do so. No, really, do it.

5 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You watch a crap load of TV! :-)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Meaghan said...

Jerry Hall's show is called "Kept". Although it doesn't look like something you'd watch, it's totally something you'd do. Go hang out at a fabulous manor in London and train to be a "kept man" for the aforementioned Miss Hall (who got some super-huge divorce settlement from Mick and is now obscenely wealthy). I thought being a kept man was your dream?

You're right, guest stars aren't enough. They need very special episodes!

I think EW may be giving you false information (but it's been so long since I watched all the things that you're talking about, I can' t be sure)...

~Meaghan

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the anonymous comment that says you watch a crap load of tv... and I agree.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Josh Nason said...

Rathbun, you gibbon: you need to write an entry concerning the many magazines you get and why you get them.

Seriously, this would be good. You have 14, right? I need to see this within 7 days.

-nason

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Nason, I'm gonna buy you a dictionary so you can look up the difference between a comment and a suggestion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home